The Netherlandsin General:
- If you use public transport, you can check in with your contactless debit card, credit card or your payment app on your mobile phone.
Tap-in and tap-out at the payment terminal when entering or leaving the station. Watch this video and
of course you can still buy tickets (single-use chipkaart) at the ticket machines.
- The tourist information centers in the Netherlands are often called VVV. Look for signs .
- The currency in the Netherlands is the Euro but without the 1 or 2 cents coins. Cash amount will be rounded to 5 cents.
- Electricity in the Netherlands is 230 volts coming from a two round pin socket.
- The big tourist attraction Keukenhof is only open from mid-March to mid-May.
- King’s Day (Koningsdag) is on April 27. Wearing something orange is recommended!
- Last but not least, taste the Poffertjes!!! (mini pancakes)
- No1! Get the Rotterdam Welcome Card including public transportation for 1, 2 or 3 days as well as discounts to museums and attractions. Available at
the VVV Toerist information office, Coolsingel 114, Rotterdam.
- For just public transport you can get a Toerist Day Ticket, valid for bus, tram, metro and waterbus (not valid for the train or the historic tram line 10).
- When you visit Rotterdam by car, know that parking can be a problem. Parking meters on the street don't take coins, just bank or credit card.
- The Market Hall is open all week but the open air market in the city centre is there only on Tuesday and Saturday.
- When you see a place called "Bram Ladage" check out their great Dutch Fries (Patat).
- Points of Interest Top 12 - What to do or see in Rotterdam: Market Hall, Euromast Tower, Erasmus Bridge, Steamship Rotterdam, Historic Delfshaven, Spido Boat Tours, Maritime Museum, HAL Building, Blijdorp Zoo, Cube Houses, Historic Tram Line 10, Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen.
- The best scenic places near Rotterdam are Kinderdijk, Delft, Dordrecht, Gouda, Schiedam and the Biesbosch National Park.
- If you don't know how to get to places like the Maritime Museum, Veerhaven, ss Rotterdam, Euromast, Watertower (the Esch), the Kuip or Delfshaven? The easy and fun way is to
take the Water Taxi. Go to one of the yellow jetties and simply give them a phone call.
The phonenumber is on the yellow jetty. Water Taxi also give tours on request.
Pick Up & Drop Off Point Water Taxi
- Take an tour or excursion to places around Rotterdam. Highly recommend are Delft and Kinderdijk
places like Gouda, Schiedam, Dordrecht, The Hague, Leiden and Utrecht are also nice to visit. Leijnse-tours organizes private tours in or from Rotterdam.
- Easy to overlook, but close to the Market Hall there's the 'Nieuwemarkt' a square with the Liberty Statue 'Maagd van Holland' (1874), some unique shops, boutiques, bars and restaurants.
- Close to the Maritime Museum you will find the Witte de Withstraat with lots of bars, restaurants and a few art galleries.
- Take a nice walk in one of the parks, like The Park by the Euromast Tower or Kralingse Bos with Kralingen Lake and 2 windmills. For who like gardens, there's the botanical garden Arboretum Trompenburg.
- Rent a boat and sail the canals or lakes of Rotterdam. You can rent a sloop close to the Market Hall on the Lombardkade near number 46,
reservate here. Other locations to rent a sloop at Rotterdam Boot.
- The windmills of Kinderdijk near Rotterdam are a World Heritage site and a must see when in the Netherlands.
- Visit beach resort Hoek van Holland (Sounds as Hook of Holland, but it means Corner of Holland). See ships enter the port of Rotterdam, visit the Fort, explore WW2 bunkers or get in your swimsuit.
- The Tram Museum is in 2023 open on the Saterday's of April 1, May 6, June 3, July 1, August 5, September 2, October 7, November 4. Address: Kootsekade 19. Just around the corner there's the Prinsenmolen Park for a nice walk between the river Rotte and lake Bergse Voorplas.
- Visit the website of Ahoy for an overview of all upcoming events at the Ahoy Events Centre in Rotterdam.
- See all the interesting and tourist spots of Rotterdam on this map.
- Rent a bike or book one of these ... Tours - Tours.
- Download the Rotterdam Tourist app in the Google Play or Apple Store.
- Follow one of the Routes. Like the Highlights, Shopping, Historic, Art or Architecture route.
- The Asian neigberhood in Rotterdam can be found close to the Central Station at the West Kruiskade.
- At some locations, like by the escalator in the Market Hall you can find a free "Newspaper" called
It has information in 3 languages and a simple city map of Rotterdam.
- View the locations of companies that offer a free visit to their toilet / restroom in Rotterdam.
Good starting points are:
The North side of the Erasmus Bridge with Spido Harbour Tours, Historic Tram line 10 and public Water Bus stop
- or -
The Euromast observation tower with Splash Tours, Pancake Boat and Hop-On Hop-Off City Sightseeing bus stop.
- or -
The Tourist office at Coolsingel 114 or at the Central Station.
Location Tourist Office at the Coolsingel
- Make a canal cruise, departure from the Vismarkt. Sails in the summer at 13:30 and 15:00 on all days except Monday. [Info]
- Walk to Museum windmill the Walvisch (close to the Vismarkt) open from Tuesday to Sunday between 11.00 – 17.00.
- Visit also the Gin (Jenever) Museum or Chocolate Shop 'De Bonte Koe'. Both located at the Lange Haven.
- More Information at the S'dam Toerist Info Point at Lange Kerkstraat 39, Schiedam.
- See the political center of the Netherlands, the parliament buildings on the Binnehof.
- Painting 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' from Johannes Vermeer at the Mauritshuis Museum.
- Go to beach resort Scheveningen and Madurodam miniature city.
- Visit cylindrical painting Panorama Mesdag.
- Try a Cheese Waffle available at the VVV / Tourist Office.
- Go on Thursday morning between 10:00 and 12:30 to the Cheese Market (From begin April to end August).
- Walk to windmill 't Slot at Punt 17, then walk to Mallegatsluis, cross the lock and follow the canal for a good view on windmill 'de Roode Leeuw'.
- Walk to the Oostpoort, the only remaining city gate of Delft.
- Visit windmill the Roos and one of the Delft Blue Pottery's.
- Go to Museum Prinsenhof.
- View here the city map of Delft.
- Last weekend of June there's a Sailing Flower Parade in the vicinity of Delft.
Sailing Flower Parade